Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Weekend with Maddie

This weekend was awesome!! Spent almost the entire Saturday and Sunday with my friend Maddie. We had a blast.

Saturday:
The stake Relief Society presidency put together a morningside and luncheon to celebrate the Relief Society organization's birthday and to put a close to our Honduras service project (collected gently used ties and new white shirts for missionaries). They showed a video where they showed pictures from service groups in Honduras. Then we ate some really yummy salad.

Next! Went back to Maddie's place so she could get changed for the Holi Color Festival! It was sooo much fun! The weather was nice (didn't even have to wear a jacket). So here is how the Color Festival works :)

Make sure that your car is prepared to be colored in chalk


You dress in white and walk up a huge hill

You see other people covered in color and get even more excited


People are super nice and offer to give you a ride up the last 1/4 of the major hill


As soon as you get out of this nice lady's car, you get pegged by kids leaving

You get bags of color and protect your nose and mouth

You protect your camera in a method of your choosing (mine was a ziploc bag hence the blurry-ness)
And run into friends! (this is Marty, my home teacher)

You have fun throwing color at people and having people throw color at you.
After a count-down and everyone throws color at the same time (causing a major fog of color), you are completely covered in color!

Then you walk down the major hill and cuz you are still tired from walking up it you take lots of breaks where you discover that the color all over your face brings out the color of your eyes


Then you get back to the car and take another picture because you had so much fun but are super tired from walking down the major hill

Next! (No, we are not finished for Saturday haha). We had a huge group date at our 1st counselor's house. We played signs, ate spaghetti, played Guesstures, then some of us decided that they wanted to leave cuz we had an early morning meeting the next day. It was fun. I have a few pictures but they are on my camera still and they were just pictures of people there.

Sunday:
Early stake leadership meeting (8:00 meeting). Then church where our beloved 2nd counselor in the bishopric was released. It was an emotional time for many of us but we are looking forward to getting to know our new 2nd counselor. It was also emotional because it was the last Sunday in our building. The stakes in all of Orem are being re-organized so our ward is moving stakes and going to be at the building up the street from our complex.

Monday: (I know it's not the weekend but it was still exciting)
Me, the chicken who hates needles, was brave enough to try to donate blood for the 3rd time! Last summer I found out that I could donate blood so when I went to donate, they turned me away cuz they were full. This past fall I got sick just days before the donation so I couldn't donate. This time, I wasn't sick and was determined to donate. I was super nervous though (refer to earlier when I said I hate needles). I knew though, that once I got the first donation done I would be fine for future donations. I was super prepared though because I drank OJ all day yesterday and had Maddie (my support buddy for donating) pick me up in case I got dizzy and couldn't drive. We almost got turned away because there was a huge line but they said to come back for our appointment time and they'd see if we could get in. We went back and there was no line! Maddie decided to also donate for the first time :) She was just ahead of me in line and was perfectly fine. I passed the initial test (with the finger prick) then went to donate. The needle part wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be. The guy drawing my blood was super patient with me being that it was my first time and I was nervous. He said I had excellent veins and was a fast bleeder though :) Anyways, I was almost done when I realized that the ceiling wasn't quite looking normal and my hearing started to go funny. I told them and they got me a bottle of water and I started feeling fine again. He had me lay on the chair for a little longer than normal to be sure I'd be ok. It was funny though because he told me no extraneous activity. I was like "what about going to my apartment and the stairs to get there." He laughed and just said to have someone go with me up the stairs to be sure I'd make it. I even let Maddie walk behind me despite the fact that I always have everyone go in front of me. I'm all good now (got a good nights sleep and have been drinking juice this morning). I am totally ready to donate again and maybe I won't almost pass out next time.
Proof!

This weekend was the best weekend I've had in a while :) I have so many good friends in my life and I don't know what I would do without them. Love you all!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment